The Pitney Bowes DM450C franking machine is vended as a mid to high volume mail room digital postage meter aimed to streamline throughput with companies sending several hundred letters a day. It achieves this by increasing throughput using integrated Intellilink software to not only automatically feed, frank and stack mail at up to 120 letters per minute but is can also seal envelopes up to 8 mm thick at the same time. When offset against conventional stamped mail the savings per month are in the region of 30% or higher if the business is producing thousands of letters per month.
The benefits are obvious when compared to non-automated mail rooms. The use of technological advances empowers the business to significantly reduce mail preparation time, ensure date stamps are accurate and incorporates future-proofing with regard to changes in postal regulations via the internal software.
- Fast processing of up to 120 letters per minute.
- Integrated scales with an optional 2.5 kg or 5 kg platform to ensure each package carries the correct postage value. Further options allow for 7, 12 and 35 kg platforms that can also interface with the machine.
- Differential weighing capability utilising the integrated platforms to process mixed mail quickly with the software calculating the exact postage per item as they are removed from the scales.
- Expense tracking enables the business to administer 25 separate accounts (client or departmental) with an option to increase this to 100 or 300. Each of these can be accessed as reports via a printer or downloaded onto a PC for detailed analysis.
Flexibility and control of presentation allows the business to customise messaging and improve the look of outgoing mail via inkjet printing of return addresses or slogans to promote the company name. Data entry is simple via the integrated QWERTY keyboard. Add this to automatic envelope sealing and the whole process becomes seamless. Even larger mail can be processed quickly with an integrated envelope sealer using self-adhesive strips mounted on the left of the machine.
An internal clock ensures date stamps and times are continuously advanced with an optional to advance the date manually to begin processing the following day’s mail if required. Date handling can also record timestamps with an option to process incoming mail.
The DM450C is also Energy Star compliant and will automatically enter a power saving or sleep mode after a designated period of inactivity thereby reducing thermal output and associated costs while prolonging device life.
The integrated software could perhaps be described as the engine of the machine, allowing a gateway to services ensuring software and postal ranges are automatically updated as necessary. It can also download logos and messages to print directly onto envelopes removing more conventional manual input and saving time while delivering a more professional image. The software allows one-touch postage top-ups using dedicated Postage by Phone features enabling up to 55 days free credit. At the same time, it provides full management of the device operation giving full flexibility to the user.
Continued updating of software enables this franking machine to be future-proof and fully compatible with the agreed change from red to blue ink by Royal Mail and Mailcoms due in 2014. This will keep the device usable with their smart meter technology that requires blue ink to function optimally.
Full Control of Mail Delivery
Franking services offer discounts over conventional stamps with a minimum discount of 2p per letter including discounts on all forms of postal services including:
Special Delivery – with options including next day, fully insured (up to £2,500) Special Delivery by 9am and guaranteed Saturday delivery.
Recorded Signed For
FrankPay – with online access to domestic and international Parcelforce Worldwide services
Airsure – for global mail functions including online tracking
CleanMail, CleanMail Plus and CleanMail Advance for users generating more than 1,000 letters per day; Pitney Bowes can offer an upgrade to allow Royal Mail’s automated systems to read and verify addresses and access additional discounts on tariffs.
Brand new machines cost in the region of £5,000 with leases starting from £200 per month based on a five year term with no maintenance (or around £300 with it). Additional options will increase this cost but Pitney Bowes offer an account manager who can advise on the best option for the business.
Other costs to be factored in are replacement ink cartridges (approx. £89 per cartridge), labels (approx. £17 per 1,000) and franking prices but these should always be offset against savings on time and handling from more conventional stamped mail rooms.
- Length: 840 mm
- Depth: 500 mm
- Height: 315 mm
- Weight: 13 kg
Speed: 120 letters per minute (max.)
- Minimum: 89 x 127 mm
- Maximum: 330 x 381 mm
- Thickness: 0.2 to 8 mm
- Envelope flap for sealing: 22 to 72 mm
- Tape dispenser: automatic (parcels and oversize items)
- Optional 2.5 kg or 5 kg integrated weighing platform or 7 kg, 12 kg or 35 kg interface weighing platform
- Optional differential weighing
- Seal only or no seal modes
- Water level indicator
- Low postage funds warning
- High value protection
- Original value protection
- Low ink warning
- Password security
- 5 job pre-sets
- 25 accounts standard; optional upgrade to 100 or 300
- Internal ad storage up to 20
- Optional date and time stamping
- Envelope messaging and town circle downloaded (by modem)
- Test entry for on-envelope messages/return address (optional)
Electrical: 100 – 240 V, 50/60 Hz, 1A Energy Star compliant
Connectivity: standard analogue phone line
To find out further information specific to your business, you’ll need to get a quote. Click here to find out more.